Sunday, September 30, 2007

Who's Afraid to Say Born Again?

It seems these days that we should all be talking about being born again. Our world, the United States in particular, is in need of some regeneration. I have to admit that I am new to the term but I have to say I like it. I really, really like it, for as the famous evangelist Reverend Billy Graham wrote in How to Be Born Again, the "greatest news in the universe is that we can be born again!" I do not take this news lightly as the very survival of our human race depends upon our ability for rebirth, to change for the better. Otherwise, there is no such thing as hope. Now, what confounds me is that there are some who tend to treat being born again as a club (or in some cases a menacing gang), with the very specific initiation of recitation of prayer or a solitary moment of conversion. Others, like myself believe being born again is about attesting to the power of God in my life and accepting the role as disciple of Christ. Graham writes, the "encounter with Christ, that new birth, is the beginning of a whole new path in life under His control." This is the spiritual transformation all Christians seek, all people of faith hope to achieve in some capacity.

I have not said a prayer for my salvation for I believe that, as Dr. Susan Thistlethwaite recently said, you "are always working out your salvation in fear and trembling in relationship to the world and the way in which you participate in building up the Kingdom of God." My personal holiness, my salvation is dependent upon my dedication to the good of my community and world. In other words, am I willing to bring justice to those who so desperately need it? Graham also wrote that some "churches preach good works, social change, government legislation, and neglect the one thing that will help solve the problems of our world- changed men and women." We need to nurture and develop our inner lives to have a change of heart and be right with God and neighbor.

I can't say there was one defining moment of my conversion. I am struck by God's love again and again and again. Each time I sense this I know I have new life. So, why is it I am afraid to use the phrase born again when describing my life of faith, my conquest (though ongoing) over personal death? Perhaps I choose not to apply the description because I don't want to be associated with a political movement. On the other hand, I feel compelled to say it for these words belong to scripture, to God, and not to a team or an esoteric association. These words are for the world to use and hold dearly. No one can claim to own them.

Also, I have always been afraid of certain words that are used by some churches to exclude (like "saved" and "converted") and create superficial litmus tests marking one's degree of holiness. Mostly, however, I never wanted to threaten or offend America's promise to freedom of religion. I figured that if I just stayed silent then we could all get along. This of course left me with no public faith to express.

As a Christian, I cannot be afraid to use born again, and other words I find intimidating, to work for healing and wholeness. So, I dash my fears against a rock and proudly proclaim I am one more changed heart, one more believer in the love of God, in being Born Again.

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm always in favor of progressive Christians reclaiming the powerful language of our faith, so I was glad to hear your speaking about "born again".
Please note, though, that Billy Graham is not dead, so we shouldn't speak of him as "late" yet.