Wednesday, September 12, 2007

American Blood and Treasure

I am certain it has all been said before but I will add to the flood of critique and consciousness about the war in Iraq. After reading and browsing a number of other faith-based blogs I am seeing that this war is clearly very much on the minds and hearts of many in the faith community. I'm new to the blogging culture and so I'm not surprised about this but I have jumped in headfirst to find out that yes we are still talking about the war and not about feeding the hungry or building community or creating jobs or helping single moms and dads get through the day.
In Jim Wallace's blog entry entitled Hagel to Petraeus, September 12, 2007, he sounded almost defeated, or perhaps just simply exhausted at the prospect of yet more misery and suffering, lies and lives lost. "For what?" Senator Hagel asked the General. One wonders why in these hearings, in political debates and community forums why folks like you and me, and the ones we put in the seat to represent us don't just ask the very simple questions like "Why?" or "Did you tell a lie?" or "Why can't we put those funds into our schools and infrastructure like we are putting in areas of Iraq?" and "What evidence is there that you are a man of God other than the fact that you simply say you are?" (Isn't there a higher standard like action in the form of peacemaking and cooperation just for starters?)
Well, for what? What are we doing now other than what seems to be waiting for something else to happen to the war, to the world, so that we don't have to make any more bad decisions. We are simply waiting while our children and their children are continuing to dye. After a few minutes of prodding by Senator Warner about another big question of whether the United States is in fact safer or not staying the course the General presented, he must have been caught in a moment of grace, freed to speak the truth when he answered, "Sir, I don't know, actually."
When a significant and frightening percentage of Americans say they think we are safer after all of the American blood and treasure spent on this war maybe the same things need to be said again and again lest we forget the truth. Lest we forget to keep asking these questions and demanding answers. We have laid the stone on this course hand in hand with General Petraeus. Are my questions and emails and intimate conversations with family and friends enough to prove my faith? What action have I taken?
I am tired of the blood and and treasure burned in this catastrophe. For now I am sticking with my questions and words put out on a line flapping in the wind until I can think of a better way to stop it all.

No comments: