Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Here I Go Again.

I am afraid it has happened. I have yet again become what it is I most fear. One would think I would have learned the lesson of restrained judgment from years of having falsely judged others. Take the time, pre-baby, I was horrified by mothers who chose not to breastfeed. I then of course found myself crying over my imperfect anatomy that made nursing agonizing and almost impossible. I cried giving my baby a bottle of formula but was also so grateful there was an alternative. I have also been scathing in my criticism for the desperate mothers and fathers who run through McDonald’s drive thrus to quiet the raging storms in the back of their vans. Needless to say my kids yell out as we drive by the golden arches, “EIO!!” (as in Old MacDonald). French fries are their best friends.

Well, clearly the lesson did not stick. The more I read and learn and think about Jesus the more I want to talk about him (usually in very inappropriate settings like the gym or in the concessions line at the movies) and the more I have to remind myself that up until a couple of years ago I couldn't even fathom to speak his name or would begin to perspire if anyone in my company spoke his name. As I might have mentioned before, I was not raised in church. I think I went to Easter one time in a plum denim two piece suit with heart pockets my neighbor gave me. Maybe I didn’t even go then. I can’t remember.

Today though, as I walk down the pharmacy isle or the sock isle in a department store, I see Jesus everywhere, in Christmas ornaments, red and green candles, babies in mangers. He is with me every step I take in almost every environment. However, mostly it is the secular Jesus we see painted on the twirling ornaments or printed on the cards. We tend to think to ourselves only of presents and chocolates and family. Not bad things, but what about the revolution he represents (and he does so I argue even for non Christians)? What about his making the heads of the Empire and Temple spin by preaching to the crowds about love and healing and yes, judgment.
I know why some folks get mad that God is lost somewhere in the stacks of gifts and pretty colored magazine pages selling bijous or the latest must-have electronics. I fall for it too. It is consumption at its best. Where I was blind, now I see. I also understand why people take their Good Books and knock on stranger’s doors to talk about the good news. In some small way they want to save a piece of the world from falling into darkness or pull someone out of it. I get it. Today I love Christmas, but for different reasons than I did a few years ago and especially as a child. It is a sacred day we set aside to celebrate the birth of the Light of the World.

Amen.

No comments: