Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why Now?


If I had the time I know I could have done my homework to find out why the Bush Administration is boldly defying China's orders not to meet with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. I am just happy to see this gentle spirit arm in arm with a man who is much in need of the Dalai Lama's teachings on compassion, kindness and selflessness.

In the fall of my junior year at Smith College I lived with Tibetan refugees in Dharamsala, India, the home of the Dalai Lama. I knew almost nothing about him expect for the fact that he was the political and spiritual leader of the Tibetans. I barley even knew who the Tibetan people were or where they came from. My life changed after I started reading the works by His Holiness. It was really when I began to develop my faith as a human and later as a Christian (though Buddhism is still very close to my heart).

At this time, I also came to understand the connection between one's faith and human rights. Human suffering is intimately connected to the politics in a neighborhood, a nation. We cannot address the issue of suffering without looking at the policies of a particular government.

I know he is human but he practices every day, every minute to be a better person, to help alleviate the suffering of his fellow humans. "My religion is a religion of kindnes." That is why he is such a threat to those who oppress and count on human suffering to keep people silent.

God bless the Dalai Lama. Thank you for showing us your smile and your strength to love your enemy as we have also been taught by Jesus.
Amen.

No comments: